Krita is the Linux program that aims to offer a complete and reliable environment for creating and managing images, from bitmaps to drawings, on open-source systems.
Initially designed for the KDE environment, Krita allows you to create, manage and model images to create graphic masterpieces on your desktop. It is a painting software that integrates material, workflows, and everything necessary to create virtual paintings; it is also designed for concept art, comics creations, and for rendering textures.
Krita is now also available for macOS, Windows, and even Android platforms; in addition, the newly released version, 5.0 to be exact, contains many new features that make the program even more complete and easy to use.
Krita 5.0 is the most significant update for the famous painting application
Krita 5.0 is the biggest and most significant update Krita has ever had and almost every area of the application has been improved, from the revamped handling of brushes, gradients, and palettes, to several new or improved brush engines.
- The way Krita handles things like brushes, gradients and palettes, as well as tagging, has been completely revamped. The new system is much faster, uses much less memory and is much more dependable!
- Gradients have been improved: they are much more smoothed and can handle wider gamuts.
- The smudge brush engine has been completely rewritten, and we’ve got a new brush engine, based on MyPaint
- The Animation system has been overhauled, with both user interface improvements and new features, such as clone frames and animated transform masks
- Krita now has a built-in storyboard editor!
- There’s a recorder to create a video out of your painting sessions
And much, much more! For a complete overview, read the release notes. If you have bought Krita in the Windows Store, the Epic Store, Steam, or the Google Play Store, you will get an update when the stores have processed the application submission.
Krita is a free and open-source project. Please consider supporting the project by joining the development fund, donating, or buying training videos! With your support, we can keep the core team working on Krita full-time.
If you wanna start using Krita 5.0 now, let’s download it from the official website: https://krita.org/en/item/krita-5-0-released/.